- What’s your favorite word? See 300+ favourites at the Guardian book blog. Mine might be the two I used to mispronounce since I learned them only while reading: epitome and misled
- Lazy Lotus (via Jenny Diski) recommends a peek at Lazy Library, where you can find books on any topic without having to worry about high page counts. If it’s over 200 pages, you won’t even see it.
- “All domination begins by prohibiting language” — Roland Barthes. “The American Constitution has never greatly bothered any wartime President” — Francis Biddle, American lawyer. Find more of the latest Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations’ bitter appetizers of modern life, via the Independent.
- I spy a streetcar and travel mugs. Seen Reading’s vignette on 20s male reading Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking at an unidentified Canadian location.
- What would your action figure come with? See Jane Austen’s, mine, Patricia Wood’s and more at Easy Writer. You can even add your own.